Temple and Shrine
The original temple was inaugurated by Revered Swami Brahmanandaji Maharaj in January 1909. Over a period of time when more devotees started coming to the Math, the prayer hall was not sufficient to accommodate them. So Revered Swami Yatiswaranandaji Maharaj added the new prayer hall in 1959.
Holy Mother’s Rock
The Holy Mother accompanied by two or three of her companions, came out of her room and, in order to have a better view of the setting sun climbed the hillock situated behind her room. Inspired by the atmosphere, she sat down for a while on the rock meditating.
Swami Ramakrishnanda learnt of her going to the rock, said with surprise: ‘Indeed! Mother has become parvatavasini (a dweller of the mountains)’. He went up straight to the Mother, prostrated before her, and chanted the three well-known verses from the Devi Mahatyam (Chandi) which are used for the salutation of the Divine Mother. Swami Nirmalananda and Shashi Maharaj requested Mother to perform japa, which of course she did, before returning to her room.
The sacred hillock which measures around 200 feet in length and 60 feet in width and 10 feet in height from the entrance has come to known as Holy Mother’s Rock.
In 1967 a stone mantapam was raised over the spot where the Mother sat in meditation. A medium sized photograph in black and white in her usual sitting pose was installed in a small glass case under the mantapam.
The mantapam has the architectural beauty of the four-century old stone towers installed at the four corners of Bangalore by the then chieftain Kempegowda II.
In 1993, a Sri Chakra made in stained glass and encased in a wooden frame was fixed atop Mother’s photo-case.
Sri Ramakrishna Centenary Memorial
Sri Ramakrishna Centenary Memorial was built in 1940. It houses Vivekananda Balaka Sangha. Every Sunday, Balaka Sangha boys have their prayer and classes in this building.
Vivekananda Centenary Memorial
Vivekananda Centenary Memorial was built in 1980. It is an auditorium with a capacity of 600 seats. Weekend discourses and other cultural programmes are conducted in this auditorium.
Sri Sarada Devi Memorial
Sri Sharada Devi Memorial was constructed in 1973. This building is mainly to accommodate monastic members who came from other centres. Whenever Revered President Maharaj or Vice President Maharaj visits Bangalore Math, they are accommodated in this building.
Sri Ramakrishna Sabhangana
An open air Auditorium, which can accommodate approximately 1600 devotees was built in 1987. Major functions are celebrated here.
Every year, Homa, Annual & national youth day celebrations will be conducted in this Sabhangana.
On Sundays VBS boys use for their Yoga and other Balaka Sangha classes.
Brahamanda Bhavan was constructed in 2004. This building is used as store room for our book-sale section and also to accommodate some of our volunteers.
When Swami Vivekananda arrived in Bangalore during 1892 from Belagaum, he stayed at the Kalappa Choultry in the Majestic area for a few days. During that period, he sat and rested quite a few times on a stone bench attached to the front wall of the house of Sri Sugappa, a jeweler by profession. After discovery later that the sannyasin, was none other than Swami Vivekananda, Sri Sugappa and his descendants preserved it carefully with all respect, as a valuable monument. This stone-bench-slab, which was sanctified by Swami Vivekananda, was officially handed over to Ramakrishna Math in Jan 1997.
The math has built a memorial to Swamiji. This is another valuable possession the Math has.